Tuesday 2 September 2014

We're Only Here For The Banter - Roxy Agogo


Appearing without warning from Glasgow's music scene like an engima wrapped in mystery, Roxy Agogo is swiftly genetrating a bit of buzz.  With only two tracks online presently, Crocodiles  and When You Dress Up,  it's easy to see why.  Shadowy post-punk with a twist of avant-garde indie, Roxy chimes in with the musical sensibilities of the city.  Time to find out more!


Hello! How the devil are you?

Roxy Agogo finds himself good and well this evening minus a blocked nasal passage and chilly spine.  It will pass.

It's the question everyone hates, but could illuminate our readers with a little bit about your music and your influences?

Roxy Agogo is the mess one person can create through the upmost joy of brutality, trashy 80’s movies, smut, beauty and colour.  It is the outcome of where a free mind can push oneself when exploring it’s furthest poles.  At the moment Roxy Agogo has been inspired by acts from Detroit and New York such as Iggy Pop and Richard Hell.  I’ve have enjoyed the post-punk music of Public Image Limited and Bauhaus and found it’s angst incredibly influential.  I find myself excited by innovative hip-hop acts like Saul Williams and Death Grips.  I was incredibly happy when Bjork joined Death Grips on their final record and thought it was admirable how they left everything.  I’m influenced by film, dance, art, friends, family, peers and some people who live near me in the South Side of Glasgow.

What's your song-writing / creative process like?

I write a lot of music.  The first lot of Roxy Agogo stuff I wrote over short period before the summer when I was a bit lost and in a loose and inventive state.  I found I either wrote best early in the morning or through the night.  I’m very distracted so this worked well.  I live among a community of extremely talented music obsessives so theres no fear in loosing vibes and inspiration.  I can’t remember how any of the songs really came around, I’m just kind of in a zone and then they're done.  I often picture movies of my songs when I’m writing.

Tell us a little bit about Roxy Agogo.

Roxy Agogo was never planned.  It was a space in time where I wanted to write music for my friends and have them sing with me so we could share an album together we all made that was only for us.  This idea didn’t last which is fine because I found a new side to myself through the process and a freeness in writing.

What could we expect to see from a live show?


Calamitous dance-worthy stunners.

What else have you got planned for the rest of 2014?


Roxy Agogo will perform his first live performance.  It will be performed in October.  Roxy Agogo can’t wait to perform the performance of a lifetime.  There will be another single release.  There will be a collaboration with a fellow creative.  There will be a short film score.  There will be other things too along the meandering way.

What are you listening to at the moment?


Johnny and Mary  by Robert Palmer.
Alles Ist Gut  by DAF.
It’s Kinda Funny  by Josef K.
Living Fiction  by WHITE.
Toy Soldiers  by Martika.
The Rhythm of the Night  by Cornona.

Thanks for speaking with us, would you care to share a joke with us?

Please no.  I’m sorry.  I’m awful at jokes!


Check out more from Roxy Agogo

Facebook          Twitter          Website


No comments:

Post a Comment