Tuesday 26 June 2012

We're Only Here For The Banter - Aaron Wright


Aaron Wright is an Edinburgh singer-songwriter currently signed to D-Set Records.  His debut album, 'Aaron Wright', was released earlier this year and is enjoying a fair amount of success both critical and commercial.  We caught up with the singer to pose our usual banter questions.  Have a read!

Hello, how are you?

Hello!  I'm ok thanks! Just gotten over the worst chest infection ever but manned up and got through in the end!

It's the question everyone hates, but could you tell us a little bit about your music and your influences?

It's always a hard question to answer properly but I'll try my best...  I think my music is pop, but credible and clever pop with good strong melodies and interesting lyrics.  Maybe it's not pop though, depends on who you ask I suppose!  I have been told by credible sources that my songs are original, different and, maybe the best compliment of all, exciting.  As for my influences...  I take influence in lots of things, from wee adventures I've been on, or a particularly sad story or experience perhaps.  I usually realise after the song has been written what inspired or influenced it.  As for the sound of my music I take influence again in all different types of music and songwriters from Elliott Smith to Adam Green and Ron Sexsmith.  The list is endless.  Anything different and heart warming I suppose.

What's your song writing process like?

When an idea comes to me for a song I usually write it pretty fast and usually on guitar.  The melody is usually written first then words will usually pop into my head.  I only ever work out what a song is about after I've written it.  I've never sat down to write about something consciously.  That's something I should really do, maybe I'll come out with an entirely different kind of song!

What could we expect to see from a live show?

Playing live is incredibly important to me.  I play shows with my band and also play acoustic sometimes too, depending on how I feel.  I love the energy of playing with the band and hearing a crowded room sing my songs along with me.  When that happens I'm at my best.  If I'm honest I think a crowd makes a good live show, not always the act.  I don't really have a stage act or any of that so I definitely feed off an audience.  I always find our gigs intimate no matter how big the venue is or how big the crowd is.  I like to be involved with my fans during a show and always like a bit banter with them.  And sometimes it kicks off too!  That's always fun!

If it were all to end tomorrow, what would you say has been your greatest achievement?

My greatest achievement is my album.  Although a lot of things come to mind, it has to be my album.  I'm proud of it and it has had incredible feedback, reviews and appreciation from people I think of as my heroes.  I suppose as it's my debut album so it'll always have a special wee place for me!

What have you got planned for the second half of 2012?

I'm going on tour with Paul Heaton in July to perform The 8th with the likes of Simon Aldred from Cherry Ghost, Kenny Anderson a.k.a. King Creosote and Jacqui Abbot.  That should be an exciting tour!  We performed it over a couple of days at the Manchester International Festival last year and it went down well so he's decided to tour it with us all.  I'm also playing King Tut's as part of the Summer Nights festival on the 18th of July and releasing 'Go On Yerself' at the end of July too.

At Scottish Fiction we focus on new Scottish music, how do you as a band view the Scottish music 'community'?

The Scottish music scene is great just now musically, however a lot of venues are closing down making it hard to get your music heard.  But with the help of YouTube, etc it's not devastatingly bad.

What other Scottish artists would you recommend to the Scottish Fiction readers?

The Scottish artists I've been getting into recently are mostly from Edinburgh, where I'm from.  I really like Matt Norris And The Moon and Caro Bridges new EP is excellent.

Thanks for speaking with us, would you care to share a joke with us?

A man walks into a library and says, "can I have a fish and chips please."  The woman at the counters says, "this is a library."  The man whispers back, "can I have fish and chips please".

Check out more from Aaron Wright

Facebook
      Twitter       Website 




No comments:

Post a Comment